Old November 30th 14, 10:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Default Italian coin from 1943 - Mussolini

Em segunda-feira, 15 de fevereiro de 1999 05h00min00s UTC-3, Don escreveu:
Hi all,

Could anyone help me here please. I was cleaning out a cupboard and I found
a Lire 20 coin with Mussolini's profile on it, and an inscription in Italian
"Meglio vivere un giorno da leone che cento anni da pecora". The coin is
dated MCMXLIII (the year he was killed).

It has been put into a sort of clasp so that it can be worn as a pendant.
Does anyone know what it might be worth, if anything ?

TIA

Donal Carey

That medal/coin was struck in brass, silver and gold. It is something a commemorative coin. Mussolini was killed in 1945, not 1943. In 1943 he was ousted from power and imprisioned by order of the king.
Italy signed a separate armistice with the Allied Sept. 08, 1943.
Otto Skorzeny and his commandos rescued Mussolini and brought to Hitler who ordered him free.
Later Mussolini organised the new Fascist Party and kept fighting in northern Italy to the moment he was caught and executed by italian communist partisans while trying to escape.
The medal/coin is worth something around 20 to 60 US$ if brass or silver. Don't know about gold.