Old November 30th 03, 03:09 AM
Bob Ingraham

Rodney11/29/2003 6:23

Using Unitrade Catalogue, Numbers 110 and 115
I cannot see how either issue could exist
with your description.

These did not come from booklets (booklets were only made for the
lower-value Admirals) but from panes. To quote from my 1998 Unitrade, "Prior
to 1958, most Canadian stamps were printed in sheets of 200 or 400.... The
sheets were *cut* (my italics) into equal panes before delivery to the post
offices."

I believe that there were always four panes four each sheet, but I could be
wrong about that. In any event, I'm sure that the 400-stamp sheets were cut
into four panes, which would result in one row of stamps each imperforate at
the top, bottom, left, and right. Additionally, each pane would have one of
stamp with two imperforate or "straight" edges -- known as "SE" at right and
bottom, left and bottom, left and top, and right and top. Stamps with a
straight edge at the bottom would have to come from the left or right top
panes.

Unfortunately, I don't have any examples of SE Admirals, so I don't know for
certain that I am correct in all this. I hope so!

It's odd how in my experience SE stamps generally are valued lower than
full-perf stamps, for they are considerably less common. but I understand
that European collectors do put a premium on them. Is this true?

Bob