Old July 3rd 03, 12:26 PM
TC

On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 03:39:12 GMT, Bob Ingraham

From: "Dimitri Debruyne"

Subject: German wartime international airmail rate

Hi Bob

Surface postage rate was 0.25 Rm to all foreign countries (for the first
20gr, each additional 20gr was 0.15Rm).
Registration was 0.30 Rm.
Special delivery was 0.50 Rm.

Airmail surcharge to Argentina (via LATI) was 1.50Rm each 5gr
Airmail surcharge to Argentina (via PANAM) was 0.55Rm if flown from New York
only (by sea from germany) or 0.80Rm if flown all the way (each 5gr)

So it looks like your cover was flown via LATI (0.25 + 1.50) to avoid
censorship by the allies. If you have postmark dates on that cover I can
have a look with what plane the letter was flown ...

Thanks for the information, Dimitri. Can you tell me what your source was?
Perhaps there's a book that I need in my library....

The cover was mailed on May 16, 1940, and was backstamped, apparently in
Argentina, on May 29. I have uploaded images of the cancellations to my web
site:

Krefeld cancel: http://www.ingraham.ca/bob/krefeldcancelfront.jpg
Argentina (?) backstamp : http://www.ingraham.ca/bob/krefeldbackstamp.jpg

(I am not sure if that backstamp is Argentinian. What do you think?)

Bob:

It is the cancel of Branch (SUC) 26 of the Buenos Aires post Office,
still in action as of 1998 (Postal Code 1426). It seems to be
allocated to the university (suc. colegiale) , as an instructor there
had a PO Box there in 1998. His address was:

(name removed)
C.C 125 -SUC 26 B.
CODIGO POSTAL 1426.
CAPITAL FEDERAL.
REPUBLICA ARGENTINA

Would you have information on the route the aircraft/cover might have taken?

Possibly via Recife Brazil. Same route the Zepplins took.

Hope this helps.

Blair