Old February 4th 05, 03:30 PM
Michael Benveniste

"Alan Williams" wrote:

Appreciate your sharing of the numbers, Michael. I swear, I love this
hobby, but I do not understand the industry of numismatics! Or the
mindset and lack of fiscal responsibility that leads someone to blow
$30,000 on a set of modern 'condition rarities', only the slightest
fraction of which are submitted for a third party appraisal. I am
completely at sea when I contemplate that as a 'collecting strategy'.

Even at today's prices, my entire collection isn't worth 30K. Rather
than buying numbers on slabs, I'd rather have an AU 1854-D $3 or some
other genuine rarity. As for SAE's, I have a couple of certified ones
I received as promos, an uncertified date set, and a tube of 2004's that
I give away as attaboy's at work.

But "lack of fiscal responsibility?" Since I don't know if the
hypothetical buyers are of the "greater sucker" school of investing
or are merely using discretionary income to "win" a game, I can't
make that judgment.

If I wanted to do the "fiscally responsible" thing, I'd sell my entire
collection today and invest it in a combination of stocks, bonds,
and perhaps some bullion. But this is a hobby, and there are as many
ways to collect as their are collectors.

--
Michael Benveniste --