Old August 1st 03, 09:40 PM
Arwel Parry

In message , Scottishmoney
writes

Ian wrote in message news:bge2k8$o4nhq$1@ID-
The one referred to on the famous `Cumberland Jacks' (aka `To Hanover'
tokens) might raise a chuckle on both sides of the border. We do
sometimes have similar sentiments to our English brothers. Methinks that
the current monarchy might take great exception to any Duke of
Cumberland appearing on any legal tender bank note no matter which part
of the realm it is issued.

The Duke of Cumberland whom put down the rising in the '45 was better known
contemporarily as "Stinking Billy"

I though William Shakespeare and Florence Nightengale were appropriate
subjects to be on BoE notes. Charles Dickens too, but Darwin????

Adam Smith has been featured on Scottish banknotes, however only as a
watermark, perhaps he was not too attractive a bloke.

Huh? He's on the current Clydesdale Bank £50 isn't he?
See http://www.scotbanks.org.uk/current_clydesdale.htm

--
Arwel Parry
http://www.cartref.demon.co.uk/