Old September 15th 13, 06:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

Default Q: The Condition of this S/S?

"Sir F.A. Rien" wrote in message
On Sat, 14 Sep 2013 14:41:59 -0400, "Victor Manta"
sharpened a crayon and wrote:

"Victor Manta" wrote in message
How would you describe the condition of this S/S? How would you grade
its
quality?

http://www.artonstamps.org/topicals/...sheet-face.pdf
http://www.artonstamps.org/topicals/...sheet-back.pdf

Would someone also explain what causes such flows.

TIA.

Note about the scans:
The gray band on the top of the image of the back is a shadow that
doesn't
really appear on the S/S. The same applies to the gray shadows that
appear
on the indentations (saliencies?) on both faces and certainly highlight
(by amplifying) the flaws.

Please read: Would someone also explain what causes such flaws.

VM

angle of the light trqaverse in the scanner vs the slight cupping of
the item and the reflectivity of the paper or gum.

If you use a 'thick' card, such as heavy poster paper, preferably
black, 99% of it should disappear. Also add a book to 'flatten', if
your scanner doesn't have enough pressure by the cover 'pad'.

Better scanning will also result if you 'standardise' by adding a
small strip of 100+ 'white' with a 'black' cut from a good mount or
sales card. {NOT the 103 cards - that's not 'black'!}

Scanners are only as good as the operator.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try to find a big enough black piece of
paper/cardboard, like the one that I used in my previous scanner.

Here are the results with the only black card that I found in my newer
environment:

http://www.artonstamps.org/topicals/...eet-face-1.pdf
http://www.artonstamps.org/topicals/...eet-back-1.pdf

It is probably better, even if somehow darker than on the first scans:

http://www.artonstamps.org/topicals/...-sheet-fac.pdf
http://www.artonstamps.org/topicals/...sheet-back.pdf

Taking into consideration that scanning techniques weren't necessarily my
priority when asking the question found in the subject line, I don't lose
hope of learning more about the flaws and the grading of this S/S.

--
Victor Manta, PWO, AIJP

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://artonstamps.org/