Old February 25th 08, 03:48 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
DeserTBoB

Default Is Akai CR-83D Really Worth $150-$200+?

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 04:18:31 GMT, "William W Western"
wrote:

Ah, Dan Gibson. Many years ago on this newsgroup his was a
refreshingly reasonable voice. snip

He, along with all other reasonable people, left this deserted isle
long ago and has built his little 8 track biz into an excellent source
for all into this arcane hobby. His coup d'ętat in taking the 8 track
crown was getting the WinGib® pad items to be sold exclusively at the
Track Shack. I've tested quite a few replacements in my time, and
only the OEM replacement pads for broadcast carts compared in quality
and performance. Everything else is, of course, chaff.

I've also left the hobby, as my Honda has left the fold to perform
yeoman duties for a youngster down the street, who uses the Panasonic
8 track deck to blow his friends' minds. I just cleaned the heads for
him while doing some mechanical work on the car. It seems an
auxiliary intake valve seal decided to not stay seated, causing #3 to
use prodigious amounts of oil. Simply pushing the valve down manually
past its normal travel solved that problem nicely, and now the 32 year
old Accord sips a U.S. quart about every 2000 miles, it seems. Next,
when the weather clears up some, he wishes to have it painted in its
original Portland metallic blue clear coat finish. It's quite nice to
see it running around town. He does has a problem, however, dealing
with the manual choke. Youngsters these days don't seem to get the
concept. Neither do they understand what a carburetor is and does.