Old August 24th 10, 01:34 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
El Kabong

Default O.K. - "Pawn Stars" - What do you think???

"oly" wrote in message
Anybody watch "Pawn Stars"??? Rick Harrison, the Old Man, son Corey
and flunkey Chumley at their Pawn Shop in Las Vegas??? (Well,
actually, it doesn't belong to Chumley).

It's really one of the few TV shows (besides Wheel of Fortune) that my
wife and I can sit down and both enjoy.

It's frequently contrived (it has to be, it would take years and years
for all that good stuff to come in off-the-street, although you might
see most of it over one or two decades), and I think that the prices
paid tend to be difficult to believe - at least somewhat high, I would
guess. Probably slightly glorifies a hard-nosed and tough business.

Also, television shifting from the supposedly profitable "house-
flipping" to "guess what I just gotta pawn today" is a sign of the
times.

But still, a really good TV show.

Anybody have any insights???

The show is rigged but enjoyable in a perverse way.
The old man is repulsive and should be taken out back and shot!
I find it impossible to believe that the average seller would not be aware of
eBay or regular auction venues to sell their goods, rather than taking them to a
pawn shop where you obviously aren't going to make as much.