Old December 8th 03, 12:17 AM
Alan

Try,

http://www.stampsofindia.com/

S wrote:
I would appreciate information about collecting the postage stamps
issued by the Republic of India.

As a long-time collector of worldwide stamps, it is impossible to
"complete" the entire World, so from time to time my efforts are
focused on specific areas. Several years ago, UNESCO data indicated
that the Peoples Republic of China is the most populous by far, with
India a distant second.

My attention became focused on PRC, so now i have pretty good
coverage of Chinese stamps, including the fraction in "Taiwan", but
not much from India. As second most populous, India certainly deserves
good coverage in any representative Collection of worldwide stamps.

Local collectors in Minnesota don't seem to have any interest in
something as "common" as postally-used stamps from India, and the
stamp Dealers shun them as garbage, nothing valuable, not worth having
in their Shop, because they will never "make any big money" selling
India or Pakistan. Too common, too many, and no demand.

For several years, i have participated in various international
Exchanges such as Potomac, British-Europa, Sierra, but rarely any
items from actual Collectors in India. Perhaps a problem with the heat
and humidity? On-paper mixtures from India are almost impossible to
soak, because of glue or paste. Seems as though instead of "licking"
(unsanitary) any stamps, they make a flour-paste, and smear that on
the backside of each stamp before affixing the stamp? Perhaps Elmers
Glue if available.

And yet, I can't even find those :"cheap, too common" stamps other
than the zillions of Mahatma Ghandi!

Suggestions, anyone?

S.