Old February 9th 09, 08:29 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

Default Darwin, Britain's Hero, Is Still Controversial In U.S.

"Mike Marotta" wrote in message
On Feb 9, 12:47 pm, "mazorj" wrote:
Someone on NPR also noted that 47% of Americans do not accept
evolution. That single factoid explains the successful marketing of

To set the record straight:

The Harris Poll® #52, July 6, 2005
Nearly Two-thirds of U.S. Adults Believe Human Beings Were Created by
God
A majority of U.S. adults (54%) do not think human beings developed
from earlier species, up from 46 percent in 1994.
Forty-nine percent of adults believe plants and animals have evolved
from some other species while 45 percent do not believe that.
Adults are evenly divided about whether or not apes and man have a
common ancestry (46 percent believe we do and 47 percent believe we do
not).
Again divided, 46 percent of adults agree that "Darwin’s theory of
evolution is proven by fossil discoveries," while 48 percent disagree.
http://www.harrisinteractive.com/har...ex.asp?PID=581

More Americans Believe in the Devil, Hell and Angels than in Darwin’s
Theory of Evolution

Makes one wonder about the level of education reached among the people
polled, and how many had to be told who Darwin was before responding to the
question.

..