Old May 31st 06, 03:34 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Denomination of this French coin?

Hi Ian,

http://www.imb4u2.myby.co.uk/stuff/LouisIIobv.jpg
http://www.imb4u2.myby.co.uk/stuff/LouisIIrev.jpg

That Louis II gros of yours is one of the biggest gaping holes in
my book! I included pictures and attributions of about 50 varieties
of the lion gros but yours somehow didn't make it, and it's one
of the most common and most important. I have one just like it
(http://someoldcoins.org/med/1909.htm). It's listed (but not
illustrated) in Boudeau, #2230.

As an aside, here's another Lion Double Gros. William V for Holland I
think (8172)

http://www.imb4u2.myby.co.uk/stuff/WilliamVobv.jpg
http://www.imb4u2.myby.co.uk/stuff/WilliamVrev.jpg

Very nice imitative piece, based on the Flanders coin. Since the OP
mentioned a "helmeted lion", I'm quite sure he meant this type.

.....and an example of a `botdrager'(8301) :-)

http://www.imb4u2.myby.co.uk/stuff/Botdrager.jpg
http://www.imb4u2.myby.co.uk/stuff/botdragerRev.jpg

Yes, very impressive lion! Best wishes,..

- Jim