Old May 29th 06, 01:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Denomination of this French coin?

In article "Warren and Paula Jo Merrill" writes:
I have a French coin that says on the 2x2 the following:

1346-84 France
Flanders Ghent (plak)

Rule of Louis II

The obverse has a helmeted lion

What I'm uncertain of is what is the denomonation of this coin called? I'm
trying to catalog it and need to know what to call it. I bought it because
I liked the look of it and I have this thing about medieval coins but not
that I know a lot about them yet. Thanks for any leads.

In Dutch many coins were called "plak". Mostly copper, sometimes silver.
The value depended on the place. Somtimes the value was a "stuiver"
(esp. in Flanders). But also here it could very well be a fraction of a
"stuiver". As the coin is from Gent, I think it is very likely that it
is a "stuiver".