Old May 29th 06, 09:21 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Denomination of this French coin?

The name is actually `plack' (in english) or `plaque' (in french). I
have often seen the many and varied `gros d'argent' coins of the low
countries, and Burgundy referred to as `plaques'.

I suggest you get hold of a copy of Jim Robert's `The Silver Coins of
Medieval France'. There is a section in it covering northern types
(including Flanders). Your coin (or one very similar to it) will most
likely be found in there.

Warren and Paula Jo Merrill wrote:
I have a French coin that says on the 2x2 the following:

1346-84 France
Flanders Ghent (plak)

Rule of Louis II

The obverse has a helmeted lion

What I'm uncertain of is what is the denomonation of this coin called? I'm
trying to catalog it and need to know what to call it. I bought it because
I liked the look of it and I have this thing about medieval coins but not
that I know a lot about them yet. Thanks for any leads.