Old September 2nd 03, 10:40 PM
Bill Krummel

Default Auction sites other than eBay

Ok. EBay is where I sell virtually all my coins. It is where I buy most of
the coins I buy. Other than eBay, I have bought and sold on Andy's UrBid,
mainly because I like Andy and want to contribute, .....well, that's not
quite true, I have picked up a few bargains and a number of reasonable
purchases there, amid some of the listings for common, heavily circulated
IHCs that have a minimum starting bid of $40, or some such. So, I have bid
at UrBid when I see a coin that has a very low starting bid, and because the
site is not heavily trafficked, I have been pleased with a good percentage
of my purchases there.

Still, it seems that good auctions are getting scarcer at UrBid.

I am forgoing the pursuit of my classic commemorative halfs, probably until
next spring. I have tended to stay away from eBay, so as to avoid
temptation. I get withdrawal symptoms really bad by not looking for and
pursuing coins for my personal collection.

So, with some time to spare, I looked at some auction sites that I have
never or seldom visited. One word - disappointment.

Years ago, I used to bid and win at Coin Universe and CCE auctions, and was
satisfied with my experiences. I tried CCE today with no luck. The coin
auction site must no longer exist, even though the search engine described
the site as a coin auction site. It looks like a server site now, call
"cce-auction.com", but no auctions and no coins.

I tried Yahoo. I have visited Yahoo auctions before, following links from
rcc postings, but I had never surfed the site. I did update my Yahoo "Mu
Auctions" page, and I did tag one auction to follow it until it ends
tomorrow, but I really found that there were none of the low start auctions
that I like.

I tried Amazon auctions. What's with that? 700 coin auctions, and I found
one auction with one bid out of 700 auctions. The auction with a bid was a
tenth ounce certified platinum coin and the bid was showing $25 with the
reserve not met. I thoughtabout popping in a $65 bid but just said phooey.

So, I suspect eBay is the only place where I would ever do what I and others
dare to do, list coins at $1 start, no reserve. Any one have some other
sites to suggest? Bill