Old December 14th 05, 01:43 PM posted to alt.art.marketplace,rec.arts.fine,rec.collecting,alt.marketing.online.ebay

Default Thomas Kinkade ORIGINAL "Home for the Evening"

"Dan Fox" wrote in message
The art world is totally divided on the matter. You can check out
opinions from the other side at
http://www.artrenewal.org/

ROTFL!! Please.... a bunch on Ayn Rand devotees who run side business
as "ateliers" do not constitute half of the art world. Especially when
the majority of them post under multiple aliases.
As far as I know none has written published criticism in major
periodicals or books. (Leaving aside your own chimeral tome.)

And for good reason: 1) they are primarily propagandists and 2) don't
have the discipline to provide a reasoned argument for the importance
of the derivative pastiches that populate their "Living Masters"
gallery.

Exactly. The notion that 'the art world is divided on this' is the same
kind of argument christians give apropos evolution: 'scientists disagree
on
evolution.' The art renewal kooks are no more a part of the art world than
the creationists are a part of the scientific world.

The strange notion that legitimate art is limited to the realism of the
19th century french academy is laughable unless you're a janitor from Crib
Death, Iowa.

The art renewal website is a hoot to be sure, but my favorite sites are
the
ones that refute the theory of relativity and reformulate physics without
mathematics.

The strange notion that legitimate art is limited to the realism of the
19th century french academy is laughable unless you're a janitor from Crib
Death, Iowa.

I had not realised that anyone had tried to put up this view,
which on it's own, cannot stand.
The same goes of course for those who try to fix some sort of
justification for modernism merely on the existence of the same
brief French period. I have read a few tracts which in essence
seemed to me to rely upon this.

I can't recall the actual page, but in his introduction somewhere,
Gombrich (Art and Illusion) makes the point that a recognition of
skill is essential for understanding style and expression.
Which relates to one aspect of art which the French Academic
championed and Modernism tried so hard to ignore.
--
Thur