Old November 24th 03, 05:39 AM
Reid Goldsborough

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 19:40:51 -0600, "Bob Peterson"
wrote:

A common ploy. Avoid all private auctions on ebay as a large percentage of
them are suspect.

This is how most newbies get taken, it seems.

Though the vast majority of coin dealers are and have always been
honest and reputable, questionable business practices and outright
fraud have long been a part of numismatics, among mail-order dealers
and flea-market sellers as well as dealers who sell on bourse floors,
in-person auctions, and coin stores. The continued popularization of
the Internet is just exposing more people to fraud.

I'd like to know where you got the statistics to justify this conclusion.
What percentage of coin dealers are honest and reputable? How did you
determine this? What percentage would have to be dishonest and disreputable
for you not to make this statement/ Did you make your calculations based on
number of honest dealers based on dollar volume, number of dealers, number
of coins sold?

I didn't use any statistics here.

escrow provides absolutely no protection to a buyer, and little to a seller.
Its a waste of time and money.

I haven't used an escrow site for any of my eBay transactions, and as
I said few coin deals on eBay seem to use them. But it seems a good
idea for expensive items. Why dod you say they provide no protection
to buyers?

--

Email: (delete "remove this")

Coin Collecting: Consumer Protection Guide:
http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Glomming: Coin Connoisseurship: http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Bogos: Counterfeit Coins: http://rg.ancients.info/bogos