Old November 9th 03, 07:01 PM
Alan & Erin Williams

Default Rank Barber Coinage

In two senses: where I place Barber designs in the pantheon of US
coinage, and by denomination with the Barber coinage, and rank as in
foul, aromatic, disgusting and off-putting.

Try as I might, I have not be able to acquire an appreciation for the
Barber designs of circulating coins. Placing the very similar portraits
of Liberty at her most bland on each denomination was a huge error, IMO.
The reverses are even worse, especially the Eagle, reduced to the
dignity of a chicken and placed in an anatomically improbable stance.

This is a problem, for me. I'm nearing completion on some of the 20th
Century series of the dime, nickel and quarter. The Jefferson and
Roosevelt are more than 90% attained, my Washington Quarters are nearly
filled, I have good starts on the Mercury dimes and an album for my
slowly expanding herd of Bison. The series I have not started by date
and mm are the Franklin, WL, Peace and SLQ. The next logical step in my
backward progression is to begin Barber Coinage acquisition in albums.

Frankly, I dread it. Some I do not despise as much as others, but the
larger the coin, the less I seem to like Barber's work! The nickel is
my 'favorite', I actually like the 'V', followed in descending order by
the dime, quarter and Half. I think the Barber Half is dreadful, simply
unattractive in all aspects. I fulfilled the Half in my type set with a
$7 coin, not even caring to own an AU or MS example.

I can see myself eventually working up an enthusiasm for the nickel (I
like nickels!) and doing the dime from a sense of obligation, thankfully
I have the SLQ between myself and the Barber 25¢ and two series,
Franklin and LW before casting eyes on that Half Dollar.

Is this an uncommon feeling? Do others feel as I do, that Barber ranks
at or near the nadir for US design?

Alan