Old November 5th 05, 01:38 AM
DeserTBoB

Default AFree8

On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 16:04:29 -0500, (lennon fan)
wrote:

AFree8

Group: alt.collecting.8-track-tapes Date: Fri, Nov 4, 2005, 8:17am
(EST-3) From:
(DeserTBoB)

I agree...$40 for ANY cart in any format is out of bounds. 8 track is
all about getting music on the cheap-cheap, so spending a lot of money
for a rare cart seem counterproductive to me.
dB

Well, I confess to these extravagances, only because it was a dearly
loved album only available in quad with different mixes in the 8track
format: snip

Q8's a whole different ball game, to me, anyway. Its fans are very
dedicated and source material is quite scarce. That neatly explains
why crooks like Charlie Nudo tried to fill the market with homemade
frauds...well, until he got caught, anyway.

ZZ Top Tres Hombres sealed quad $70
Kraftwerk-Autobahn Quad - 40
Al Green greatest hits quad - 60
lennon - imagine UK quad - 80
Blood sweat and tears s/t -40
and sadly a few more....but I regret it not, all of these were ab fab,
unique versions of albums I'm always happy to listen to....I have about
500 quad 8's, fortunately most were had for a coupla bucks...but as I
got serious about quads, I hit a phase where I had to have every great
one....and lemme tell ya, the quad versions of the Chicago albums
positively SMOKE the stereo versions! snip

It's pretty obvious that a lot more care went into Q8 releases than
the usual stereo, from what I've heard. Does it justify the price? I
think so, since the format was never all that popular or that big a
seller in the first place, thus making good quality carts a rarity.
Common stereo 8 tracks, except for the usual suspects, are still a
50¢-$1 item.

dB