Old October 31st 04, 04:12 AM
Jen Badham

Default collection software

In the interests of starting discussions, I thought I'd post about software.
What software do people use to manage their collection and how good is it?

I originally built an Access database and that worked well enough and,
building it myself meant I could include what I wanted. I enter the common
card set as a single item, but individually itemise the various chase cards,
promos etc. However, I recently switched to a commercial software package
(Collectorz) for my comics because my comics Access database had been
through several Access upgrades and no longer worked cleanly, and didn't
have all the features that a commercial package gives and I couldn't be
bothered writing.

Collectorz is actually really flexible with field names and list contents
etc. I ended up starting a new database for my cards, statues and other
miscellanous items. With some minor reworking, it actually does really well.
The biggest problem is that there are lots of extra data items that are
really irrelevant for cards and are not removable, but it's still half the
size of my old Access database and includes much more info. The othe problem
arises from the fact that I have the two collections (ie comics, everything
else) and have quite different setups for each. The software recognises the
correct field names for each, but defaults to the most recently used
display, so I often have to redo the display columns and sort order when I
open the other collection.

Jen