Old January 26th 12, 12:25 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Tony Miklos[_2_]

Default Rockola 440 Gripper and Magazine Motor Blowing Fuses

On 1/25/2012 11:18 PM, robert wrote:
Hey Tony,

I used a small very thin straight edge precision screwdriver. It was
the only thing I had thin enough aside from a razor blade (which I did
not use).

I think I may be able to get some used motors, but the only problem is
that I'm not sure if they work or not. The person will refund my
money (minus shipping of course) if they don't work, which is very
cool.

BTW, what exactly is involved with 'rebuilding' a DC motor? I
received a quote from someone to rebuild my motors, but they said that
if the motor needs brushes, then it would be extra. I would imagine
replacing brushes would be a standard part of the rebuild. No?

It sounds like they are not "rebuilding" the motors. They are taking
them apart, cleaning, and lubing them, which often works out quite well
but is far from a rebuild.

On Jan 25, 6:14 pm, Tony wrote:
On 1/21/2012 4:11 PM, robert wrote:

Hi Tony,

It was odd that it blew a fuse even quicker after I had cleaned
between the communicator bars.

That is odd. What did you use to clean between them?

Tony

On Jan 21, 11:47 am, Tony wrote:
On 1/20/2012 4:12 AM, g0pkh wrote:

robert;690440 Wrote:
Hi John,

Okay I'll give it a shot and post back.

Robert

On Jan 19, 6:43*pm, John Robertson wrote:-
robert wrote:-
Hi Pete,-
-
I took the gripper motor apart, cleaned it out polished up the
communicator and thought that would solve the problem but when I
connected it and ran the machine it still blew a fuse *The carousel
motor is beyond my repair ability so I think I'm going to have to get
a replacement anyway.-
-
I don't see the capacitors on these particular motors. *I have a
Rockola 483 that I plan on restoring (if I ever get this one done!)
that does have the caps on the motor.-
-
The kicker is that these two motors are going to cost more than I paid
for the machine *lol.-

Before you replace the motors try running a thin flat blade between
each
commutator on the armature. I have had motors that have too much carbon
jammed in between each commutator conductor leading to the appearance
of
a shorted motor.

Do not use a blade like an Exacto, you need something thin and flat
ended to scrape the bottom of the grove between each conductor.
Polishing the faces of the commutator won't help that much.

John :-#)#

-
Robert-
-
On Jan 19, 5:10 am, g0pkh wrote:-
Hi Robert--
--
A while back I restored my first jukebox, A Rock-Ola 474 machine.--
--
I too had problems with both of these motors.--
--
I was really lucky and managed to find two brand new old stock
armatures
for them. And after a complete rebuild and regrease, they now run
brilliantly.--
--
They are 28V DC Motors. I tested mine by connecting them to a Bench
Variable Power Supply unit, and wound up the voltage slowly while
monitoring the current. Mine were both taking in excess of 2A which is
the limit of my PSU. By the time I got to 20V DC--
--
I found that after the rebuild the motors would run off load and
consume
in the area of 500mA, while at the full 28V.--
--
I didn't have a problem with shorted turns on mine. The problem I had
was that the commutators (sections where the brushes connect the
armature) had a deep groove worn in them, plus the grease in the
gearboxes had congealed, and needed to be cleaned out completely, then
fully regreased.--
--
Also with the armatures and brushes removed, you may like to check the
suppression capacitors (tubular devices connected across the motors)

--
* * (Please post followups or tech enquiries to the newsgroup)
* John's Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9

Hi Robert

If you do as John suggests. That may sort the armatures out.

That's odd, I've done it at least 50 times and never shorted out the
armature. What it does is removes the shorts between the commutators.
I use a dental cleaning tool to scrape out the crud.