Old August 11th 03, 03:06 AM
Dik F. Liu

In article ,
(John) writes:

I just took a Hero 329 (Parker 51 knockoff) out of my desk drawer -- I

remember leaving it there MONTHS ago. Wrote the first time. For a $5 fountain
pen, not a bad deal. Be aware that their nib sizes run extra fine: I use mine
for editing and margin annotations. But you can pick up one in NYC's Chinatown
district (I go to Pearl River at the corner of Canal and Broadway).

The Hero 329 is the Bic of China - a reliable, ubiquitous, knockabout pen.
Pearl River in NYC had the 329 for $4.50 a pop. Pearl River also have Hero ink
for $1.50 a bottle. Hero ink is much as Quink: thin, watery, clear, free
flowing, nothing fancy but it doesn't clot your pens either. Neither the 329
nor Hero ink has change much (if at all) in the past 40 years.

By the way, Pearl River is now on Broadway, near Prince street.

I would not attest to the expensive Heros. They are an oxymoron, if you ask me.

Dik