Old February 26th 09, 08:59 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Jimmy

Default Long-term storage of ballpoints

"James" wrote in message
On Feb 20, 4:37 pm, "Jimmy" wrote:
"Mike S." wrote in message

snip
Or, more specifically - how to keep the ink from drying out?

snip
Any real-world experience here? Any better suggestions?

Mike,

I have always stored them point-down. The theory is, this keeps the
ball
inked, and the column of ink stays unbroken...

snip
As a real world example, I have a metal Parker "T Ball" refill from
the
early 1970s that still writes. They can survive a long time.
--
Alan

Yes, pen refills from the 1970's made by Parker have a propensity to
last a long time, but not pen refills made in the 50's and 60's. One
trick I use to loosen ink in a refill is to hold it briefly over a
open stove flame a few seconds and then scrawl on a scratch pad
nearby. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not and then I discard
the refill in trash. Every refill is different as you do not know how
long they will last.

James

I notice the Parker broad refills are back in production. Demand, or
just marketing whim? Originally they did broad, medium, fine and extra
fine - I tried them all in school.

--
Alan