Old February 20th 09, 12:59 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Mike S.

Default Long-term storage of ballpoints

Or, more specifically - how to keep the ink from drying out?

I read a pen-related blog wherein the author suggested storing them in
zip-lock plastic bags from which air was removed with a straw prior to
sealing, in order to create a partial vacuum. No followup on whether it
works.

Thinking it through, the object seems to be to prevent the slow
evaporation of solvent(s) from the ink. Sealing it in something airtight
and low volume makes sense, but it would seem to me that the initial use
of a vacuum would (at least temporarily) _increase_ evaporation of
solvent.

Any real-world experience here? Any better suggestions?