Old January 2nd 08, 08:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

Default Small Red Squares on Battle of Britain stamps?

On Dec 31 2007, 1:43 pm, "Gazza" wrote:
"Toke Nørby" wrote in message

... "Gazza" wrote:

A guess - they are like the additional markings borne by aircraft of the
Polish manned squadrons in theBattleofBritain- perhaps some unofficial
overprintremembering them?

Thanks, Sounds very reasonable even I could not find that mark via
Google.
--

- see the nose on this spitfirehttp://www.odyssey.dircon.co.uk/spitfire.jpg

As noted in the other group, this is also the naval / air signal flag
for
the letter "U" . This flag signal means "You are running into
trouble."

In any case, I see it as a private overprint, either to remember
Polish
pilots in the Battle of Britain but more likely, giving a 'black
humour'
warning to the Nazi pilots in that battle that the spitfires are after
them.
(see Gazza's spitfire picture)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna..._flags#Letters

Blair