Old May 20th 06, 11:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Rim Nicks

"bri" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Amistad" wrote in message
Just now happened across a coin whose description caught my eye. I

can't
say that I previously knew of any coin grading regimen that allows for

rim
nicks being commensurate with the grade. Have a look:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Scarce-Barber-...temZ8422047521

My question is -- what grades are rim nicks acceptable on? Come on,
comrades. Educate me! ;-)

Amistad
'after all, what's a nick or two between friends?'

Holy-moley who's that seller kidding?? Way too much money for those.
Fr2's according to my handy-dandy grading guide w/pics.
An 1892O in a real low grade like that is a $15-$20 coin at best while a
'97S with a PO1 reverse is around $20.
Some people sheesh!

Oh well I tried to get the price down for you. It just never works does it?
;-)
I regards to your original question what you need for a rim nick is one of
those tight fitting 2x2's. Because finding any in that grade that don't have
rim hits is pretty near darn hard.
FWIK the larger the ding the lower the grade drops and a rim hit is worth 4X
damage compared to a similar hit anywhere else except the cheek.