Old December 23rd 04, 07:02 AM
paghat

In article , wrote:
[clip]
Julie M. Lippmann 1864 - ???? apparently American wrote novels and plays

[clip]

Julie M. Lippmann wouldn't fall into the obscure category as her Martha
By-the-Day is still to be spotted in dollar-bins as common cast-offs in
old book stocks, & her rarer items in fine condition are sought by
collectors of ornate bindings. Most of the authors you mention, if not
all, you'd've found plenty about in one hour at any half-decent university
libarary, if you know how to use the two main index series' for
biographical info. A hour in a good library remains for me a lot more
profitable than five hours klicking all over the gawdamn web. And you
could click all over the web all day long & probably never light on the
fact that there were TWO authors named George Washington Peck, so could
easily come away combining information about two different gents, much
harder to do if one values actual reference books instead of the little
dab that's on the web.

Julie Lippmann was the great-aunt of my old friend Kits Filipi who ran
Filipi's Books in Seattle for two-thirds of my life. She told me lovely
tales of visits to New York, hanging out in cafes with her famous maiden
aunt, meeting authors, attending art events, & Aunt Julie left her with a
lifelong love of books. Kits has been dead some years now & I have often
wished I'd gotten a tape-recorder on her stories.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Visit the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com