Old October 2nd 03, 08:02 AM
jimmyfc

Yezid Acosta wrote in message . ..
TREASURY SEAL COLORS and THEIR MEANING
by:Patrick J. Curran

BROWN was used to identify National Bank Notes ? notes issued by banks
under Federal charter. They were issued in 5, 10, 20, 50 and
100-dollar denominations and their issuance ended with the Great
Depression.

y paper with tan seals. Thus the "******* Notes" (federal
reserve notes issued on national bank stock) were issued.

Two more emergencies occurred & required a different color Treasury
seal.

TAN was used after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, the United
States fearing an invasion of the Hawaiian Islands. All currency
issued to banks on those islands had Tan Treasury Seals and HAWAII
imprinted on the face and back of the notes.

This would seem to indicate that the color shade on 1929 NBNs is
different from that on the Hawaiian notes. Is that in fact the case? I
don't own any Hawaiian notes so I can't do a comparison.
http://www.ccatech.com/tna/archives/...sealcolor.html

Yezid Acosta
http://www.notofilia.com

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 16:43:45 -0400, "John III"
wrote:

Cathy here is a small web page on that. Not allot to read, but some info.

John III

http://www.coinsite.com/content/faq/redseals.asp

"Cathy1999" wrote in message
What does the red seal on a paper bill indicate? I know that the blue

seal is
a silver certificate but can't remember what the red is for.

Thanks,
Cathy