Old February 1st 04, 11:25 AM
The Silver Jar...

Colin Kynoch wrote in message . ..
On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 22:47:25 -0600, Jorg Lueke
wrote:

To see the brilliance of slabbing. No more pewter Thalers or hammered
pennies made by Artie next door. When will they learn?

I've come across some slabbed coins from America that have filtered
across, i don't think it's a bad idea as such. (It gets bad when
people start paying stupid prices from one grade to another such as
MS66 MS67 in my opinion. To me it's UNC whichever grade it is and i'd
sell it for the same price).

Anyhow i dislike the idea of slabbing in general because i'm an old
fashioned type that thinks if you can't hold the coin in your hands
then what's the point? You're not holding history your holding a
capsule of plastic with a bit of history in it.

That and the coin won't fit in the cabinate if it's in a slab.

But they can look very nicely framed in a slab. I dunno i like the
idea that it keeps the coin safe and accumulating a complete set in
all the same slabs makes a nice standardised collection. I just don't
fancy paying for the plastic and not the coin. (So probably a negative
feeling from me here!)

Sylvester.