Old July 2nd 05, 03:31 AM
Padraic Brown

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 18:12:07 +0300, "gogu"
wrote:

? "Padraic Brown" ?????? ??? ??????
.. .
On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 03:04:28 +0300, "gogu"
wrote:

One euro is one euro,
regardless of whether it's a coin or a bill.

Yeah, that's why Americans dislike the coin dollars and prefer to use the
dollar bills...In your line of logic they must be stupid, too ;-)

Actually, it ìs stupid.

:-)
As Jesus said: "you said it" ;-)))

Americans don't like dollar coins because they
are a nuisance.

So, why Europeans should not feel the same nuisance for their one euro coins
?...

Because Europeans have had a long history of coind in denominations at
or _above_ the €1.oo level! I think I mentioned that Spain's smallest
circulating note was worth about €8 or thereabouts. Britains smallest
note is worth about the same. The US's smallest note is worth LESS
than a euro!

My pocket is some times so heavy that it makes it a hole ;-)

Change the coins for notes, or spend the coins.

There's not enough of them to really make a dent, even
for those of us who would want to use them. Commerce refuses to
actually use them, despite banks who have "Got golden dollars" posters
and Wal Mart 'promotions' when the thing was first introduced. They're
a nuisance because there is still the more familiar ragbuck in common
use and is numerically FAR more numerous than the coins.

!
That's what I said about the old European currencies !
We all are used with our "old" money, so...
Just think what would happen if Americans would change their currency with a
*totally* new one like the euro !...

I never said anything about "being used to" the ragbuck -- it's a
matter of numerical superiority and ubiquity in the cash stream. Very
few people are confused by dollar coins -- in other words, Americans
are quite "used to" them!

If we had no real choice but the dollar coin, we would "like" them as
much as any of the other uninspired currency types we've got.

Well, this is happening with Europeans but it will take some times for the
older people to accustom with the new currency.
I don't see something unusual to this...

I don't either -- they should be quite used to it! Anyway, once you
lot "get over it", get through your grieving process, you'll have no
problem thinking in euros.

If people are having
trouble transitioning from drachmas to euros, that's another story. I
fail to see how using a bill or a coin is going to help there.

Then pray tell why Americans prefer to use the bill instead of the coin
?...

Been addressed here lots of times. Americans dó like the dollar coin

My experience from a couple of threads here and from articles is different;
Americans dislike the dollar coin but they use it because they can't refuse
it.

A "couple of threads" indeed have featured disgruntled Americans who
drag out the same old arguments (coins are "too heavy", "mistaken for
a quarter", etc). The vast majority of posts and threads regarding the
use of dollar coins in the US have been positive or at least neutral.

-- very rare indeed is the experience where people actually DISlike
the dollar coin. We don't really "prefer" to use the dollar note --
it's simply the only viable choice we have at present, unless we
specifically hunt down and seek out dollar coins.

And anyway, we're not using a new currency system! I think his point
is how would a ?1.oo note help the Greeks any more than a ?1.oo coin
when the whole system is all new?

I have explained it how.

I guess it didn't register...

But as I also said, many people in the EU feel this way and not only the
Greeks are asking for a euro note...

Why should they start making low-denomination bills just because Greece
didn't keep up with their own money system and kept ridiculously-low
bills in circulation?

Italy had even lower denominations but I see that you are not protesting
about "stupid" Italians...

I think he mentioned Italy.

His quote is just above mine here, no Italy.
Maybe in another paragraph.

Probably so. I recall someone mentioning Italy.

Spain had small denominations quite like Greece.

Smallest peseta note denomination (as of 10 years ago when I was
there) was 1000. They had replaced the 200 and 500 pta notes with
coins by then -- the equivalent of about ?2 and ?5 -- even better than
present system, which offers a ?5 note rather than a coin.

I am a Greek and I feel like that, so I must be stupid :-)...

Well, how would a one euro note help you come to grips with the new
system in a way that the present one euro coin can't?

The point is not that the euro note will help me the way you say, it will
just make people "feel" better the value of the money !

??? OK, whatever!

Speaking as one of those reviled Merkins, I had absolutely no
difficulty with going from US$ to Spanish pesetas. I had no choice.

And I have lived for years abroad, so I never had a problem with any foreign
currency.

Good!

But here we are not talking about me and you, we are talking about entire
countries, with many older persons...

They'll get used to it, too.

I guess the best thing you lot in general can do is 1) suck it up and
2) get over it. The drachma is gone, along with the peseta and lira.
Stop thinking in terms of drachmas and you'll be perfectly at home
with euros in about a week.

???
Who said that I believe to a come back ?!

No one I am aware of, why?

I know that euro is here to stay, so I don't understand you above quote...
I was jut talking about how people feel generally, not me !

Exactly. I'm not necessarily addressing you _personally_, just you as
a representative from Greece!

A nice weekend to you, too...

Same!

Padraic.