Old November 16th 03, 10:55 AM
Bill Vesty

"Padraic Brown" wrote in message
On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 06:39:41 -0500, "Scottishmoney"
wrote:

Interesting question.

Thanks for the response!

For the most part the Pound was a pound everywhere,

That's what I figured, but wasn't sure.

however the exceptions were in Australia and New Zealand where variations
caused them to create their own coinages. Aussie coinage retained

sterling
silver until ca. 1942.

It was 1945 to be precise it was going to happen in 1921 when the price of
silver boomed however the boom was short lived and prices eased.the 1921
Aussie shilling has a star above the date to signify the debasement that
didn't happen.Even the silver coinage minted in San Francisco & Denver was
to the Sterling standard .925.

Bill
NZ coinage was .500 fine.

Did the variation exist before this time? I.e., when all three (incl.
Britain) still had sterling silver.

Gibraltar, Falklands, St.
Helena etc pound notes are 1:1 with British Pounds.

Presumably, Jersey, Guernsey and IoM are in that same boat as well.

Malta, Cypriot,
Palestinian(later Israeli) £ notes started varying with independence in
those countries. I know the Maltese £ became the Lira, and retained more

of
it's value in relation to sterling, however the Cypriot £ has lost some.

Yeah. The Maltese pound is $US2.74, while sterling is about $1.60 or
so.

Ireland tied it's pound to sterling until 1978, when after concerns about
the British Pounds variations caused the Central Bank of Ireland to break
the tie. For a very short period, the Irish £ was worth more than

sterling,
however since that time sterling was worth more than the Irish £. You

can
read a rather lengthy narrative on this on the Central Bank of Ireland's
website, I found the whole discussion rather interesting as you could

gain
some insight on how currencies are valued.

I'll look into that.

BTW Scottish Pounds are valued the same as BoE pounds, however some

exchange
places in continental Europe will attempt to devalue them by 1-2% in
relation to BoE notes if you don't protest.

That's crap!

Northern Irish £ notes are in
the same boat, there are four banks currently issuing notes in NI.

Padraic.

la cieurgeourea provoer mal trasfu
ast meiyoer ke 'l andrext ben trasfu.