Old October 7th 09, 05:37 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

Default Where To Buy?

"Sparafucile" wrote in message
On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 13:00:26 -0500, Bluesea wrote:

Now that I've gone through the archive, I need recommendations because
the
links I've tried are old.

What I'm looking for is an ultrasonic cleaner with a stainless steel
tank,
40+ KHz, 50 watts. Hopefully priced $100.

If you bought one, or know where someone you know bought one, I'd
appreciate
knowing.

TIA.

(Yes, I did the unspeakable and haven't been able to soak and flush the
nib
and feed clear.)

I am a luthier (make guitars) and do metalworking
as hobbies and have many power tools, from
top-of-the line Japanese and Swiss to Harbor
Freight's house brand, Chicago. I'll give you my
.02.

Harbor freight sells cheap, Chinese tools which
are passably engineered and made; their "ratings"
(e.g. wattage etc.) are always overblown. I do
buy their stuff, for tools that I use only
occasionally; they are "clunkier" than most. I
consider HF tools "disposable"...

If you are going to use this only once a month or
so for five minutes at a time, than get the 95563
- there is no way in the world it is really 160
watts, though. The other HF machines are marginal
- at best, IMO.

Other than being inaccurately rated, it's okay if it isn't 160 watts.
Richard Binder recommended 50 watts as being more powerful than the jewelry
cleaners while not being so powerful that it might damage vintage pens. (I
have only one vintage pen which I never use.)

I was thinking that after I get this clog cleared out, I'd go back to
flushing by hand and use the UC to keep cartridges clean (I refill carts and
the international standards aren't as easy to clean as Pilot carts.),
thinking I'd clean nibs and feeds only once a year in the machine to keep
them spiffed up. I was doing fine before I let this particular pen sit
without a flushing for well over a year.

If you want a real ultrasonic, get a L&R Q-90,
their entry-level machine. It is rated (honestly)
at 55 watts, and side-by-side to the HF, the L&R
will clean better and faster than any HF. OK, it's
not $100, but you'll have it for a lifetime.
Google to see it.

I've had my Q-90 for 21 years now, and it runs
like the proverbial Swiss watch.

That's a wonderful track record. I'll have to think about it since I wasn't
prepared to spend more than $150. I could buy another nib section for my pen
for $80 and wait to get a US machine when I'm ready to spend more money on
it.

Thanks for the advice.

--
Ciao,

Serge

ŽI love cats because I take pleasure in my home;
soul.¡
Jean Cocteau, 1889-1963

10/6/2009 7:11:09 PM

Since you love cats, have you seen the A.S. Manhattaner's NY
Artists Guild Fountain Pens by Sailor? Only $21 at JetPens:

http://www.jetpens.com/index.php/cPath/214_835.

--
~~Bluesea~~
Spam is great in musubi, but not in email.