Old October 11th 10, 08:12 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jud

Default determining the date of Jamaican dollars

On Oct 10, 9:28*pm, yawnmoth wrote:
http://i.ebayimg.com/14/!B4rRORg!mk~$%28KGrHqJ,!i4EydC+spbnBMqy6HI7Mg...

That image says 1.2.93 in the bottom right corner. *Does that mean the
bill was issued on January 2, 1993? *If so that seems a bit odd since,
according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamaican_dollar#Banknotes,
the $2 bill was dropped in 1989.

Actually, the dating is February 1, 1993. As Tony said, don't trust
Wikipedia for everything. Currently in Jamaica, the lowest
denomination coin being used is JMD$10, with the JMD$20 even more
common. I have been a frequent visitor to Jamaica and can remember the
50¢ bill, and the largest bill was $10. Now the $1000 bill is used the
most. Ever since they floated the currency the exchange rate has gone
way up. I haven't checked recently, but on my last trip in January, it
was JMD$82/US$1. A beer will cost you $300! But it sure is fun playing
poker with their money.

Jamaica Jud

BTW, I use JMD$50 and JMD$100 bills for bookmarks. Costs less than a
bookmark!