Old March 2nd 14, 06:24 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Default Calif. couple strike $10 million gold-coin bonanza

A gold twenty liberty has just less than once ounce of gold, so the melt value ought to be about $1,820,000 (1400 coins/ ounces at $1,300 per ounce). Perhaps I should use 1350 pieces. The melt is $1.8 million MOL.

Just watch, there will be somebody, some entity, somewhere who gets an injunction from some court, and these coins will not likely go to market in the next several years.

I saw the ANA video on you tube and Mr. Kagan himself makes the distinction between the coins that have been salvaged from shipwrecks and coins in a land burial. That these coins were found on land that has a historic "chain of title" will likely bring in many claimants, including the state and federal governments. The shipwreck coins had cleaner "title", but I do recall that on one of the wrecks, the salvors did have to pay something to some insurance companies that had a sketchy claim. Of course, one group of sea salvors lost 100% of their important major find to the Government of Spain based upon a horse**** claim.

The late great treasure hunting writer H. Glenn Carson always said that if you find more than a modern clad quarter, you need to STFU!!!

Oly