Old March 5th 08, 02:35 AM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
Bill Plenge

Default Is there a way to moderate this group after all these times?

Sue H wrote:
The original starter of this group is Oliver Scholtz who is now Senior
Program Manager at Microsoft Corporation (WOW). I don't think he's
small enough to come back here and settle this but I am game to
contact him!

On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 20:23:59 -0500, Sue H wrote:

That looks like THIS group. Who started newsgroups as a whole? Who
invented it and posted the very first newsgroup? If we knew, we
could find out who they were, their intent, if they have any legal
claim to what they've become etc.

On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 15:58:06 -0800 (PST), chip1057
wrote:

This link provides the first post of alt.collecting.autographs back
in 1993. Started by someone named SpamceMan.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.c.../month/1993-03

Chip

On Mar 4, 1:53 pm, Sue H wrote:
I think that's the problem. We don't know who the powers that be
are!

Sometimes, many moons ago, this way of communicated was started by
one person. Probably back in the early 80's. Who was that!

On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 13:34:31 -0600, "Gummby3"

wrote:
I admit that my knowledge of newsgroups is relegated to posting
and reading messages, but there has to be someone "in charge"
somewhere. This newsgroup did not just appear out of nowhere.
:-) Someone had to have created it. I assume that whoever did
create it must have gotten bored with it and let the group go on
it's own to transmute into what we have today... The key is to
find out who the "powers that be" are and see what can be done.

What I find odd is that I know the "rules" of this group have been posted
since I started following it, around 10 years ago, yet searching the google
link for this group shows no FAQs posting here -- ever. Perhaps I'm more
senile then I thought.

Best,
Bill