Old September 3rd 04, 12:31 PM
John Mycroft

How strange - they were the very stamps that got my (then) 7 year old
daughter into the hobby. She wanted to collect cartoons but was
disappointed that there were nothing but Disneys to be had. (Has any
country ever issued a set of Bill Tidy cartoons?)

I do agree with the sentiments of the writer, though. This metric stuff
will be the death of world commerce. Bring back the firkin, troy ounces,
avoidupoids (how the hell do you pronounce that) and let me continue to
amaze my friends by telling them repeatedly that there are 63,360 inches to
the mile. While we're at it, let's bring back the horse & buggy and public
floggings (always popular on the waterfront in Sydney). Having recently
moved to the USA from New Zealand, I'm actually having a hell of a time with
American measures. The pint is 4 ounces short of the real thing and how you
are supposed to add together distances, I will never fathom. Quick - before
I count to 3 - what is 1'7 3/64" times 7 plus 9'11 7/32"?

--
Cheers - John Mycroft
coryton_at_cobbsmill_dot_com