Old September 5th 13, 11:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Pedro

Default hinges

"Sir F.A. Rien" wrote in message
news
I've read here, long ago about a brand of hinges that could be very
easily removed without damaging the stamps, so they were considered the
best type/brand. Anyone knows?

Dennison. Some others were about as good.

Not available, nor are m most of the 'good' brands. Those that are
till made leave more remnant and markings than the 'old' ones ever
did.

I remember when I was a child, back in the 70s, being at the local stamp
shop in my town of origin, in the Canary Islands. A girl had just
arrived the shop and was asking something about a huge hinged
collection. I remember having heard the local dealer, a lady btw,
telling her that a hinged collection was not worth a cent.

Bizarre to stupid. Anyone have any 'huge hinged collections' they do not
want?

Hinged used doesn't matter, hinged mint after about 1930 does ...
The NH craze has made most items later than that worth 1/4 of the
equivalent NH.

Did you know that in the 1890's collectors were urged to 'wash off the
glue' to prevent the first gums from cracking [and destroying!] the
stamp's paper?

Never heard of that. Very interesting to know!
Pedro