Old November 5th 03, 04:46 AM
Bob Ingraham

From: TC
Newsgroups: rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 23:34:25 -0500
Subject: Bob's Chicken Stamps

Does anyone know of catalogue numbers for these stamps? I can't find them in
the Scott U.S. Specialized; my catalogue is old, 1986, so perhaps they are
in newer ones. Any suggestions for dealers?

Bob

A closer look at the catalogue took me to R047, a "Charles Busch Private Die
Proprietary" stamp, also with a chicken, but quite a different design,
though still very attractive.

Bob

Hi Bob:

Is this your new chicken on RO47? http://www.rdhinstl.com/mm/ro47.jpg

It is indeed. And I found the others, although they are not illustrated. I
didn't realize that the catalogue numbers were included in the URLs you
provided.

I found a dealer, but these are expensive puppies! Er, chickens.

Charles Busch was a seller of matches and "fancy goods"
in New York during the tax period. The matches may have
been manufactured at the Seward Match Manufacturing Company
in Trenton, New Jersey.

The stamps were printed by the American Bank Note Company,
and were issued from May of 1880 to late January, 1881.
4,166,000 were issued on watermarked paper.

Blair

Many thanks for the information.

Bob