Old January 21st 14, 03:09 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter[_2_]

Default Adventures in book collecting

On 1/12/2014 1:37 PM, wrote:
There's a mystery series I like, by an author named R.D. Wingfield. Jack Frost is a detective inspector in Denton, England in just half a dozen novels which never saw hardcover publication in the U.S. I have been assembling these over time, and just need two more to complete the series.

Checking Amazon listings, I saw what looked like a nice copy of NIGHT FROST at a pretty good price. (I shall not name the seller.) I ordered the book, and a few days later received a parcel containing the book club edition, printed later to capitalize on a successful television presentation starring David Jason as the title character. I e-mailed the seller, explained that what I got was not what had been advertised, and asked to return the book for a refund.

First the seller insisted it was the correct item, based on the SKU listing. I photocopied the SKU off the back of my copy, and wrote back, explaining again that what I had received was the correct *title*, but not the publisher's edition.

The seller responded: "We try very hard to avoid returns and all the costs involved in shipping out, shipping back and the restocking cost. In an effort to simplify all that, may I offer you a 20% discount to simply keep this book as delivered? I hope you find this a good solution."

I wrote again: "No, that is not acceptable. This is not the book you claimed to be selling, and I do not want it, discounted or not; I want my money back." Their reply: "Sorry for the inconvenience. How about if I offer you a 50% refund to simply keep this copy as delivered and to avoid hassle in returning this copy please?"

I felt I had to put my reply in (mostly) single-syllable words:
"Every time I have written, I have asked you to take this book back, and
return my money. What part of this am I not making clear?
- I do not want this book. It is the wrong item, and no refund/discount will
make it the right one.
- I want all my money back, including the postage.
- I expect your company to pay the cost of my returning this book, as Amazon
would do for a defective item."

Apparently, this outfit's staff has been instructed to do *anything* rather than accept a return... "Sorry for any problems. I have posted the refund to your account. Please know that the refund has been posted by us, but it may take a few days to show up on your credit card. No need to return it back."

I'll find a friend who hasn't read this book. The search continues...

I must admit that I have not (knowingly) come across any of Wingfield's
books. They seem to be fairly scarce.

Francis A. Miniter