Old November 17th 03, 02:37 AM
Bob Flaminio

Ami . wrote:
What are your ideas on getting the public to widely use half dollar
and dollar coins in everyday transactions?

We would then have MLK Halves and Kennedy Golden Dollars.

Not a chance. The only way to get the public to use dollar coins is to
discontinue the rag buck. The actual design is irrelevant. The Sackie
has a good size, color, and edge; but without the elimination of rag
bucks, it will always be a "niche" coin.

The half dollar is a hopeless cause. Most vending machines don't even
have slots big enough to accept them. My idea for the half is to
discontinue JFK, and make the half a circulating commemorative, with the
design changing every year. For example, this year it would be the First
Flight coin -- rather than just releasing them in mint sets, release
them to circulation as well. (They are CuNi clad, after all.) Sure, they
won't *really* circulate, but then -- neither does the JFK.

--
Bob