Old March 2nd 07, 09:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Bob F.

Default Unscrupulous Dealers and Price Gouging in Seattle?

On Feb 10, 10:18 am, "Stone Mirror (the Great and Terrible)"
I own a pristine copy of a volume titled "The Picatrix", published by
Ourobouros Press in 2001 in a limited edition of 1000 copies (mine is
#331). I'm doing an appraisal of the current value of this book, so I
searched Bookfinder to see what was listed there.

There are several copies listed, ranging in price from a low of $204
to a high of over $500 (the latter from a Seattle brick and mortar
store for a copy with a scuff on the cover!) One of the outliers,
pricing a copy at $430, was an outfit called "seattle_bookseller". I
wrote and asked why the price was so high, and got an amazingly
vituperative and abusive response, stating that this "WAS HOW THE RARE
BOOK BUSINESS WORKED" and that I "NEED A COURSE IN REMEDIAL ECONOMICS"
and so on.

seattle_booksellers subsequent posts proved that you are telling the
absolute truth.
He's a miserable ******* (not that that's neccesarily a bad thing) and
probably would not have been out of place on the old NYC 4th Avenue
"Booksellers Row".
BTW: Here's his latest feedbacl, a bit worse then he stated
(surprise!)
Feedback 30 days 90 days 365 days Lifetime
Positive: 96% 94% 94% 93%
Neutral: 0% 0% 1% 2%
Negative: 4% 6% 4% 5%
Count: 74 176 412 721

So 5% of his 721 sales (that's 36 buyers, folks) thought his service
sucked.
And 2% thought it just so-so (14 buyers).
That's at least 50 people out of 721 who were underwhelmed by his
books and/or service.
For a guy that claims to ship "almost 200 books" a day, he sure
doesn't have many customers, esp. happy ones!