Old September 2nd 11, 09:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Terry Reedy

Default Watermark detectors

On 9/2/2011 12:11 PM, Sir F. A. Rien wrote:

wrote:
I would like to study the watermarks of a lot of stamps. Is there a
"non-liquid" watermark detector I can use?

Learn to use a lamp and your eyes. Probably 90% of the watermarks can be
seen with a 'back light' or stamp held over a matte black card and 'edge
lit' with a screened desk lamp.

Some of the rest hardly show even with fluid!

I second the suggestion to use light and eyes. Some issues work best
with transmitted light (list behind stamp, though maybe off to side and
stamp held at angle). Some with reflected light (stamp on black plastic
card). Magnification helps too.

I was fortunate to stumble across, at a garage sale an illuminated
magnifier (about 5", with circular flourescent bulb) with a spring arm
(so I can move it into and out of my view field and have both hands
free) and desk clamp. It works pretty well for some issues.

I have occasionally used water to see watermarks. This all took some
practice and experimentation and willingness to pass on some stamps and
some issues.

Terry