Old September 8th 10, 11:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Peter[_6_]

Default Precious Metals

On Sep 8, 5:46*pm, "Bremick" wrote:
"Robert Hairgrove" wrote in message

Bremick wrote:
"Jud" wrote in message
As of right now, noon EDT, silver is at $20 per oz, and gold is up to
$1257. Silver made it to a benchmark, can $1300 gold be far behind?

Saw gold up to $1264 before settling back. *"They" say that as the price
of gold increases, more smaller investors will switch their attention to
the cheaper silver. *Makes sense I guess. *Time will tell. *Now if only
Wall Street could make up its mind.

The price of gold relative to the US-$ is presently being driven by
various uncertanties in that currency ... especially since the Euro is at
an all-time low (and the US-$ is more or less at parity against the Swiss
Franc right now, also pretty close to the low it recently hit where the
Swiss Franc was actually valued higher than 1 dollar).

Other factors, such as the disastrous off-shore drilling incident, will of
course have a positive effect on gold.

If the dollar drops much lower, Asian countries (and others) will increase
gold purchases which will drive gold up even higher.

This is a good time to buy, IMHO ... especially since many people are
selling right now.

Personally, I would be wary of buying now as gold flirts with new highs. *If
many others are selling as you claim, wouldn't the price likely go down?
IMO, there's much more liklihood of a retreat now and then a yoyo period
rather than a continued climb. *The last time I bought silver, after a year
of yoyo-ing the price was a tad less than when I bought it. * For every
"expert" who can justify $1300+ gold by 2011, there's another who sees $1150
instead. *That's the fun of the game for many people.- Hide quoted text -

Well, I don't know what gold will do, but I keep asking myself about
China's interest in natural resources. If I had the chance to hold $2
Trillion in US treasury debt, would I be tempted to buy some gold,
instead? In particular, at $1250/oz, the US entire stock of gold (ca.
8000 metric tons) is worth about $300 Billion. That's only about 15%
of $2 Trillion ... why wouldn't they prefer a little (?!) more gold?