Old November 18th 07, 07:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

Default (RCSD) OT - I am back

On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 09:01:23 -0800, Sir F. A. Rien
wrote:

found these unused words:

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 16:43:05 -0800, Sir F. A. Rien
wrote:

Tony Clayton found these unused words:

In a recent message "David French" wrote:

These are common problems we face because the software many times
isn't real-time optimized. I turn off my resident scan in favor of a
better throughput.

I employ AVG free antivirus,
have not met with any problems, virii of
downloading in 3 years.

Me too - AVG has worked well for the last 2 years.
Nothing serious has got through in that time.

I also use AVG Anti-Spyware which 'mops up'
any odd cookies and exe files that get saved with
Emails and temporary data.

I used to have Norton but found it slow. They also
kept putting up the annual license charges!

I must say that it slows my system down so much that I am going over to
AVG when my Norton expires.

Not one virus has come through or even been reported in two years....
I suspect that the fact that I only read newsgroups and email on my
old Acorn RiscPC may be a factor here.

You'll find a few oddities with AVG. When it updates, it locks the machine
until it is finished. Same when it boots up along with the 5 tons of other
'required' -=startup=-.

Updates will often alter your preferences and in my case, it keeps turning
OFF email scanning!

Well, for Free... one can abide by a few quirks. :^) I'm using both
AVG "Free" and Computer Associates.

Not my point, rather that new users often become upset when the program
'takes over' and they can not do anything! More than half the people I've
had try AVG, have dumped it for that reason, believing that it is 'damaging'
their computer.

Nuttin' and Macunfree do their best in the 'help line' to encourage this
belief.

After you posted this, I checked on it and AVG does temporarily "lock
up" the store. I can also understand why, even though it is a
nuisance. In order to update properly, snag all the resources so that
nobody else can corrupt the process. If said snagging goes on for a
"long time", however, that can be a major annoyance.

On my newer PC it seems negligible. I guess that shows with older PCs
far more...