Old April 18th 15, 04:59 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
beaverstamps

Default On Mail Delivery

On Mail Delivery and government monopoly

In the late 1960s and early 1970s, Trucial states, small sheikdoms like Ajman, Fujeira, Sharjah and Um-al-Qiwain, issued huge amounts of postage stamps. The postal authorities had contracted with private printing companies who printed huge quantities far in excess of those countries postal needs. The government officials claimed that the printers had continued to issue unauthorized stamps and had sold them to various stamp dealers all over the world. The dealers sold them to eager collectors at a nice margin.

So by 1977 the Stanley Gibbons catalog had a warning for those countries stamps issued between 1967 - 1972: These stamps have either been issued in excess of postal needs or have not been available to the public in reasonable quantities at face value.

I'm not arguing against Leonard E. Read's statement - I'm just looking at various scenarios.

my 2 c
Ray