Old November 8th 04, 11:21 PM
Christian Feldhaus

gogu wrote:

Nooo, nooo, I am a collector :-)

I know :-) Just wanted to emphasize that (according to my crystal ball)
this will not be as heavily sought after as, say, the early San Marino
or Vatican annual sets.

In the future I may sell my double coins but never a coin that I have just
one.

Even selling your "unique" coins may make sense one day. Like, in case
you decide to collect rare/expensive medieval coins only, why not sell
the others? I do not see anything wrong with that, except you may not
get as much for those others as you would like to g.

So is it easy to buy one of every commemorative 2 euro coins ?...
I mean in reasonable prices...

In general, yes. It will be hard if not impossible to find them in
circulation, but I did not pay much for the Finnish ¤2 commem and the
one from Luxembourg, for example. A little more than for the Greek one
though ;-) Had I been in FI and LU when the two were issued, I could
even have picked some up at face value. This one from San Marino, and
the Vatican piece, however, will AFAIK only come in those coin cards or
mini-sets ...

That's what happens to me every time something new comes up: first
reaction is "no, I am not going to collect them".
Later some Christian fellow from Germany shows me more pictures and
there I am starting a new collection :-)))

Hehe ... but this one will hopefully be relatively inexpensive. So you
can still collect the other series you started, without going bankrupt.

Is the Greek "disk thrower" considered a commemorative or not ?

Well, officially there are the regular circulation coins, the
circulating commemoratives (these "special" ¤2 pieces), and the country
specific collectors coin. So in this sense the Greek coin certainly is a
commemorative. Before the euro, many EU countries had coins that matched
the circulation coins in terms of diameter, composition and such but had
different designs. Like Italian 500 lire coins, French 10 or 20 francs,
and Greece had some 50 drachmes pieces of that kind. Would you consider
them commemoratives or not? :-)

Christian