Old August 24th 06, 05:54 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Default Roman coin wanted - serious collectors please

Dr Ewan Jackson wrote:
Dear fellow collectors

I am on the verge of completing a collection of all the ancient Roman
coins of each and every emperors. I am down to my last 2 emperors.
Has anybody EVER seen a coin of the emperors Glycerius and Olybrius?
The alleged Glycerius on wildwinds.com is a gross misattribution of a
commonplace Honorius, and I have never seen either a Glycerius or an
Olybrius for sale - not in any of the major auction houses, let alone
on e-fake i mean eBay.
If anybody has any information about where or how I might obtain these,
I would be greatly appreciative.

Ewan

ewan, i'm impressed. i have to assume since you are only missing
olybrius and glycerius you're skipping all the usurpers as well as the
proto-byzantines arcadius-anastasius. it's too bad you've come this far
and not decided to add the empresses as well - what are you going to do
when you actually get these two guys?

i've been shown, and tentatively offered a glycerius a few years ago
but was much too expensive at $10,000 for me to afford it (a
tremissis). still, that was a relative bargain. there have been a
number of glycerii available.

olybrius is another matter altogether. the last tremissis for sale
*that i'm aware of* was in the neville '25 sale a picture of which can
be seen at http://tantaluscoins.com/browse.php?qs=olybrius along with a
cast from the BM's only sample.

not counting usurpers and empresses the set can be completed and i
would have guessed olybrius would have been the most difficult. the
full imperial set, which i'm pursuing myself, would look like this:

http://tantaluscoins.com/coins/grid28.php

ras