Old August 1st 09, 10:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.books,rec.arts.mystery
Francis A. Miniter[_2_]

Default Tag Sale Find

Pogonip wrote:
Francis A. Miniter wrote:
*Women of the War* by Frank Morris (1866, S.S. Scranton & Co.
Hartford) is an account of the efforts of more than 40 women on the
Union side during the Civil War, with some first person narratives
from letters, etc. Most were nurses, but not all. One spent time in
a Confederate prison camp. One treated union prisoners just released
from Andersonville. Some simply followed their husbands to war and
became involved, most commonly in hospital work. One story stood out
to me, that of Carrie Sheads, the Principal of Oakridge Seminary,
located on Seminary Ridge in Gettysburg. She and her resident
students were in the seminary when the battle began and while it
streamed through the seminary. They treated wounded soldiers as
necessary. The seminary changed hands at least a couple of times. On
one occasion she stepped between a Union officer and a Confederate
officer, to prevent the latter from killing the former.

The book itself is in good+ to VG- condition, gilt printed boards
bright and gilt on spine somewhat bright, with a frayed top of spine,
bumped corners and occasional foxing. But the hinges are tight and it
lacks any interior marking. I am thrilled. Price 25 cents.

That's amazing!

I was talking to a dealer today who was familiar with the
book and with its method of distribution. It seems that at
the time, Hartford, Connecticut was the center of
publication by subscription, whereby people went door to
door taking orders for books, or, if already printed,
selling them more or less on the spot. This book, Moore's
*Women of the War*, was distributed this way and it was a
big success. That inspired Mark Twain in 1869 to publish
*The Innocents Abroad* by subscription. That too was a
success, so much so that Twain decided to move to Hartford
to be near the publishers and to plan for the distribution
of his next book, *Tom Sawyer*.

For reference, see Introductory Essay by Lucy Rollin to The
Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Broadview Editions 2006)

--
Francis A. Miniter

Oscuramente
libros, laminas, llaves