Old November 12th 05, 10:57 PM
Michael Benveniste

Default Another approach to image theft

"Stujoe" wrote in message
.net...
I don't buy it but Wikipedia seems to take the position that pictures of
US coins ineligible to be copyrighted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Morgan_dollar.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Money-US

I don't read it that way at all. I strongly advise against
taking legal advice on copyright from internet randoms.
You may safely assume I'm an internet random, and this is
not a legal opinion.

They correctly state that the design of the Morgan Dollar is
in the public domain. For purposes of copyright law, that's
true. You can create an image or a replica of a Morgan dollar
without worrying about the Federal government suing you for
copyright violations. Anti-counterfeiting and fraud laws are
a different matter.

It also seems that they've placed _that_ picture of a
Morgan Dollar in the public domain, which they certainly
have a right to do. But I don't see any claim that _all_
images of Morgan Dollars are not copyrightable, nor do I
believe such a claim to be a correct statement of law.

--
Michael Benveniste --