Old May 27th 07, 11:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
MJKolodziej

Default what else do you collect?

"John Ahnen" wrote in message
news
Hmmmm Besides coins, I have a small stamp collection that has been
neglected for over 30 years. I hesitate to get back into that because of
the expense and the lack of knowledge.

Another active collection is firearms. Wanda and I try to buy a couple
guns
a year, which is pretty easy for us since we have a good friend who has a
gun shop (Dave's Guns and Guy Stuff). If he gets something in that he
thinks I might like he will set it aside until I show up. He also allows
layaways which is nice. I never know what will catch my fancy, normally
it
is just something that I do not have one of. The guns range from a civil
war era S&W revolver (3 examples), a WWII Japanese sniper rifle (from Dad)
to modern stuff, like the Glocks (which I also carry at work).

Another collection, which at times seems like controls me, are barnyard
fowl. Chickens, turkeys, peafowl and guineas, which are multiplying out
of
control. They seem to be collecting us!!! Anybody need chickens? They
can
be shipped overnight, at least within the US I think.

Finally, I am always on the lookout for memorabilia concerning Admiral
Hyman
G. Rickover, the Father of the Nuclear Navy. Being a retired sailor of
the
nuclear power bent, he is an idol of mine. I have a couple items with his
signature, and some of the medals(?) issued by the mint to honor his 63,
yes
63 years of active service to our great country.

Sorry, but ras asked.

John

"Buckwheat!" You can keep the guineas. Noisey things!

I seem to collect dead radio control airplane parts, but not on purpose.
mk

"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are
evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." Albert
Einstein
wrote in message
ups.com...
does anyone here ever set out to collect anything other than coins? i
know the answer is yes and maybe some of you can pitch in what other
areas you've dabbled in.

today i'm letting go of one collection which at its height i had just
about as much passion for then as i do now with coins. it was a
collection, oh boy this is going to sound geeky, of... chemical
elements. you know, the stuff that makes up everything in the
universe. and any of you who know me privately know i'm hopelessly
afflicted with a get-one-of-each mentality (see my roman coin
collection at http://www.tantaluscoins.com/coins/grid28.php )

it's a bitter sweet moment to put the elements up for sale. you know,
something you put that much work into, even if you let go of actively
pursuing, has become a part of you at some level. but collections are
alive - or should be - so that unless you're a pack rat once your
interests change over time it's best to recycle them and let someone
else experience that rush you once felt.

i know this guy bill who's nuts about old coke bottles. others are
into fossils, minerals and so on. so what non-coin stuff have you gone
ga-ga for?

ras