Old October 10th 03, 02:41 AM
BookEditions

Default "Red Dragon" first edition??

Picked up a copy of Thomas Harris' "Red Dragon" today thinking it was a first,
but now I'm not so sure as I have seen different dust jackets on books all
claiming to be firsts. Hope someone with a REAL first can help:

Book is by G. P. Putnam Son's and there is no date on the title page. However,
the copywrite page does not show any subsequent printing dates or a "first
edition" entry or a printing line of any sort. According to one printing guide
I have, Putnam's uses several different ways of identifying a first, and the
lack of any statement to a later edition (i.e. "second printing," etc.) is one
of them. States "copywrite 1981."

The jacket has a red background with lettering in white and shows a price of
$13.95 on the inside flap. There is a dragon-like figure on the title page
which is not in the square box as I have seen on other editions claiming to be
firsts. Jacket design is by Lynn Hollyn & jacket illistration by Ron Walotsky.
ISBN 039912442x.

The boards are grey with a black binding wrapping around about an inch on both
sides.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Les